Monday, June 30, 2008

Summer School

This summer I was approached by a coach for my school district and asked if I would teach poetry to GATE students. This was the first time my district offered a summer school option for GATE kids. I did a two week stint and had a good time. It was definitely different working with a class of students are classified as gifted and talented. Not once did I hear "I can't do it" or "It's too hard" or "I don't get it". They certainly kept me on my toes. I partnered with another teacher, Ms. Purdy, who taught organic gardening. She let me and the students use her school's garden for poetic inspiration. I was amazed at what some of these kids wrote. It was great and I plan on doing it again next year.
I am the one in the back to the far right, and yes, you see that right. I am wearing a princess hat, cat-eye glasses, and I have a wand.

No comments: